McDonalds, a Blanket and a Vet


 Yesterday, as is my practice each time I drive home from UIC, I stopped at the Maywood McDonalds to get a Diet Coke for the road. As I pulled into the parking lot, I spotted an elderly man. He was diminutive in stature and holding a sign that read; Please Help. Homeless. God Bless. I knew right then and there I would add to my order and buy him a bag of food. As I pulled around, I signaled for him to come over, so that I could hand it to him. It was hot and fresh, and smelled delicious. I was certainly excited to place it in his hands. As he approached me, I felt a nagging that I had to do more. But what? I didn't want to hand him cash, I really had nothing else. And then a voice inside of me grew louder, Give him your blanket. My blanket? How odd. Next to me in my tote was the blanket my dear high school friends had given me when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was adorned with pink ribbons, and probably one of the softest blankets I have ever had. I carried it with me to treatment then, and I have carried it with me for my IVIG infusions now. To me, this blanket symbolizes hope, hope for a new beginning. It is filled with love, the love of my incredible friends. And lastly, courage, the courage God has graced me with through it all. 

As I handed this man his food, I noticed that he was a veteran. He had a hat on that said that, as well as several military pins. I looked into his empty eyes and thought how ironic, we are right across from the Veterans Affairs building. I thanked him for his service as he reached out for the piping hot bag of food. The voice began to stir in me again, Give him the blanket. I continued to ask him, so you are homeless? Yes mam' he replied. And without thinking I said, do you have a blanket? He told me when he was fortunate enough to get into a shelter for a night, sometimes he did. 

Still in disbelief, I thought, it's pink Lord, will he really want it? Then without any further hesitation I pulled my beloved blanket from my tote. I told him the story behind it, and his eyes welled with tears. He told me that I should keep it. But, by now, I was firmly convinced that he should be the bearer of this beautiful part of my life. God was telling me in no uncertain terms to pass it on. I told him, it's yours now with all the hope, love and courage that I have found with it. With that, he tucked it close to him and told me it was the most beautiful thing he had ever been given. 

There was really no more to say, that voice in me had calmed as I pulled away, but not without one quick glance in my rearview mirror. I saw him walking away from McDonalds, his food and blanket in tow. He had clearly accomplished what he had set out to that day. I guess we both had. 

I have no doubt I will see my blanket again in heaven, draped at my saviors feet, he will smile and say, well done my beautiful sister, well done. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coach

Where Did Christmas Go ?

Sweet Mary