The Quarter


 So often we overlook what may be going on in each other's lives. A seemingly simple interaction could have implications far beyond what that encounter seemed to be. And so it was, I believe, with a chance encounter I had in the Aldi parking lot this week. 


The Quarter


I have been to Aldi thousands of times. I know that I need to have a quarter handy unless I want to juggle my groceries while I walk through the store. The carts stand front and center as you enter the store. You place a quarter in the slot of the cart, and it is released for your use. When you are finished you re-attach the cart in the corral and your quarter is returned. Often, if you are lucky, you can catch someone about to return their cart, simply hand over your quarter, and use their cart without all of the fuss of getting the cart to begin with.

There have been many occasions I have been returning my cart and I just give it to the next person. I tell them to pay it forward when that happens. Many shoppers are of the same mind set, just giving up their cart to the next shopper. I like to think of it as Aldi etiquette. 

This past week I saw an elderly man re-approaching the store with his cart. He had such a sweet face, and like so many men of that generation, going anywhere was a reason to dress up. He wore suit trousers, a necktie, button down and sweater. He had a twinkle in his eye that immediately endeared me to him. I slowly approached him and asked if he was returning his cart. Why yes, he responded. He signaled to me to take it. My quarter was clinging to my palm as I pulled it up and showed it to him. With a gentle smile he reached out and grabbed it from me forcefully. Now don't get me wrong, he had every right to that quarter, but to me, it seemed he didn't get the Aldi etiquette memo. So much so, I was taken back by his action. 

I thought about it during my entire shopping excursion. Why was he so eager for that quarter. What on earth could be so important about 25 cents? And why was this bugging me so much? It seemed so petty. 

As I got in the car to go home, God planted the possibilities on my heart. Maybe that quarter was a part of 75 cents that completed a dollar. That dollar may be what he needed for a loaf of bread. Or maybe that quarter needed to be used in a coin laundry to do his wash. Or perhaps he kept that quarter in his car to use over and over at Aldi for his cart. 

Whatever his reason, it was a good reason, and it was his. It was not mine to judge or wonder, just accept. All too often I find myself indulging in judgement where I have no business doing so. 

Can you imagine where we would be if Jesus passed judgement on the people that crossed his path? The prostitutes, tax collectors, and sinners were welcomed as his guests. Instead, he showed compassion, Grace and forgiveness. And that my friends is what we are called to do each and every day. If the son of God accepted all, right where they were in life, I certainly can do that. And so can you. 


Let's Discuss this! Leave your thoughts in the comment section! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coach

Where Did Christmas Go ?

Sweet Mary